Interfaith Outreach & Community Partners’ mission is to engage the heart and will of the community to respond to emergency needs and create opportunities for all to thrive. Interfaith Outreach is a human service nonprofit that ignites the power of community to provide urgent and strengthening services in eight Twin Cities western suburbs so families can live their best lives, children can succeed and the entire region can prosper and shine. Serving the west Hennepin communities of Hamel, Long Lake, Medicine Lake, Medina, Minnetonka Beach, Orono, Plymouth and Wayzata since 1979. For more information, visit iocp.org.
Interfaith Outreach is looking for highly qualified candidates for our Lead Youth Counselor position. This position is temporary (June 11-Aug. 9, 2018) and part-time (20 hours per week, Mon-Thurs, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.). $14-$16/hr.
Summer Leaders is an eight-week, half-day, no-fee summer enrichment experience for kids in grades kindergarten through 6th grade living in nine Interfaith Outreach Neighborhood Program locations. Summer Leaders provides summer camp fun in a safe, learning environment where positive youth development is paramount. Activities include field trips, building connections with caring adults, engaging in structured experiences that foster social and emotional skills, and fostering a sense of pride within their neighborhoods.
The Interfaith Outreach work environment is client centered, values driven, team oriented, fast paced, diverse and focused on learning and professional development. We have a strong internal culture of collaboration and team support and a deep commitment across staff to mission.
Core Areas of Responsibility Include:
- Supervise campers during Summer Leaders under the guidance of a Neighborhood Program Site Manager
- Plan and implement activities for campers with team members
- Work with team to complete program paperwork and documentation in a thorough and timely manner
- Facilitate daily counselor meetings
- Attend a 20-hour weeklong training and orientation (June 11-14, 2018)
- Report to camp on time and be present and engaged for the entire duration of camp (nine weeks)
- Take initiative and be ready to adapt and help out when needed
- Keep campsite space clean and organized
- Distribute lunch and snacks daily
- Supervise campers on bus for field trips and swimming days
Required Qualifications Include:
- High school diploma or GED
- Experience working with youth in a structured program setting
- Demonstrated ability to manage small or large groups of youth
- Adaptable to change; able to improvise and self-motivate
- Ability to work well in a culturally and linguistically diverse environment
- Ability to work independently as well as an active participant within a team
- Exceptional communication skills
- Clear background check
- Some college or college degree in education or a human services field
- Experience working with youth in a summer enrichment setting
- Experience planning and managing youth programs
- Bilingual in English or Somali
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to Katie Shepherd, Neighborhood Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions will be open until filled.
We strongly encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply
Interfaith Outreach is an Equal Opportunity Employer